7CoG Map Viewer for C64

Talk about everything related to general reverse engineering of computer games!

Moderator: Kroah

7CoG Map Viewer for C64

Postby adoggg » 30 Jan 2011, 14:23

Oh man I really want a version of the map viewer for C64 disks (.D64 files from CCS64 in my case). So far, it looks like the Atari save disk is very different from the C64 one.

If I were to try to port it, does anyone (Kroah) have any advice? Did you start by disassembling the game and then looking at the save routine or did you just figure out the save format from the save disk itself? Any strategy for making changes in the game, saving game, and then comparing the save disks?

Andy
adoggg

Re: 7CoG Map Viewer for C64

Postby adoggg » 06 Feb 2011, 21:14

Wow the chatter on this board seems to be too much for the series of InterWeb tubes to handle.

http://cntremblay.fatcow.com/steeley/Se ... %20c64.zip

I got it to work and did a little refactoring for extensibility. The file formats were more similar than I thought. You can now open .D64 files and view the map. I just did the map and the natives because really I just wanted to find the lost city in my save game and get some screen shots to add to the wiki: (hopefully coming soon to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Seven_ ... ost_Cities ) Everyone please try to contain their hysterical excitement.

Can I or will someone please SF or GoogleCode this dirty bird? Clearly I have demonstrated that the interest in continuing the development on this killer app is off the charts.
adoggg

Postby Kroah » 07 Feb 2011, 12:09

Welcome Andy,

adoggg wrote:If I were to try to port it, does anyone (Kroah) have any advice? Did you start by disassembling the game and then looking at the save routine or did you just figure out the save format from the save disk itself? Any strategy for making changes in the game, saving game, and then comparing the save disks?Andy

I always disassemble the game to understand the format. For me, the save game format is only a part of the work. So i disassemble the whole game, including the save routine.

adoggg wrote:Wow the chatter on this board seems to be too much for the series of InterWeb tubes to handle.

What does that mean? English is not my native language.

adoggg wrote:I got it to work and did a little refactoring for extensibility. The file formats were more similar than I thought. You can now open .D64 files and view the map. I just did the map and the natives because really I just wanted to find the lost city in my save game and get some screen shots to add to the wiki

Nice, i will try it back at home.
Even if I never owned a C64 computer, i like the performance you did. I did the same thing for the Chaos Engine viewer (compatible Amiga, CD32 & Atari) and the Phantasie serie viewer (compatible Amiga, Atari, C64 & Apple II).
Your work is much appreciated, thank you.

adoggg wrote:Can I or will someone please SF or GoogleCode this dirty bird? Clearly I have demonstrated that the interest in continuing the development on this killer app is off the charts.

I can add a link on the 7CoG section of my website if you like (and i would like).

I don't like much SF or GC for this kind of project. You know, disassembling & reverse engineering are not appreciated by all the community. And the SF & GC policy is restricted in this way.
Kroah
Site Admin

Postby adoggg » 07 Feb 2011, 23:50

You're welcome and thank you - you did the leg work, I just readapted it.

If you don't mind hosting the source, I don't mind you taking it and re-linking it. Remember, it's not really complete, though.

I recommend any kind of source control system that let's people contribute. I don't think they would give you any grief at SF or Google - I mean, we're not talking about redistributing the actual game in this case, just a utility to view a file (a file without any encryption or protection, btw) I urge you to reconsider just for this app.

Here is my save disk if you need a sample to test - I haven't tried any others:
http://cntremblay.fatcow.com/steeley/SE ... ESSAVE.D64
adoggg

Return to General Discussion