Road Wars 2000 and Europa

Talk about everything related to general reverse engineering of computer games!

Moderator: Kroah

Road Wars 2000 and Europa

Postby war_doc » 13 Sep 2014, 17:34

Good morning,

I happened to be going through searches the other day looking for a possible port (with the bells and whistles) from the original Atari ST version of the Roadwar series by SSI.

Imagine my surprise when I found more then I bargained for. You have done a great job of getting this old gamer (cut my teeth on the Atari 800XL and Apple II+ and went to the Atari ST) back into the old retrogames again.

What are the odds of being able to decompile and redo those Roadwar games or better yet, even putting up source code. My coding skills are very rusty since I haven't really haven't had ot use them in over 20 years.

Thanks again for all that you are doing to bring back the the games that really were the ancestors of what we see today.

Kevin
war_doc

Re: Road Wars 2000 and Europa

Postby hitchhikr » 29 May 2016, 22:30

Hi,

Sorry if the the topic is a bit old, but if you're still looking for to reverse Roadwar 2000 & Roadwar Europa, the Apple 2 versions were (partially ?) made in BASIC so it may be easier to understand the games mechanisms.

Both games are located here:

ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/images/games/strategy/ssi/roadwar_2000.zip
ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/images/games/strategy/ssi/roadwar_europa.zip

To extract the files, you'll need a tool called "CiderPress", downloadable here: http://a2ciderpress.com/
hitchhikr

Re: Road Wars 2000 and Europa

Postby war_doc » 14 Nov 2017, 21:34

I saw those games and they are interesting to see in the Apple version. The Atari version, though, I believe has significantly better graphics and gameplay. I've tried both and that's what I found. Since I'm not a programmer of 68000 code, I'm not sure how to disassemble the Roadwar program for Atari.
war_doc

Return to General Discussion