Return of Heracles

Talk about everything related to general reverse engineering of computer games!

Moderator: Kroah

Return of Heracles

Postby adamofevil » 08 Feb 2006, 17:49

I love that game! :)
adamofevil

Postby Kroah » 09 Feb 2006, 16:15

You're allright !

I frequently play this game through Internet with my brother (2 players), and it's still ver funny. We begin with bad character to raise the difficulty and we never use more than 1 hero each one. But we don't care of the score, it can be boring to lose some turns because the player miss eveything.

I don't think there's secret areas or hidden treasures, but i'm curious to know the little RPG system (damages, ...). And why not a mapping software that read the game as i've done for Phantasie 3... maybe :)

Even if Alibaba was a good game, i've never found the same feeling. I like better the medieval time.

Kroah
Kroah
Site Admin

Postby Guest » 11 Feb 2006, 00:09

I was hooked on Ali Baba for the Apple II, but when I got Heracles I was blown away. Pretty much the same engine, but with a much more streamlined interface, and all that great Greek mythology for the setting. This engine grew up into Adventure Construction Set from EA. Stuart Smith was really ahead of his time.

Postby xot » 11 Feb 2006, 00:10

^^^ That was me posting, by the way. Forgot to login after registering. :oops:
xot

Postby Kroah » 11 Feb 2006, 01:53

Xot wrote:This engine grew up into Adventure Construction Set from EA. Stuart Smith was really ahead of his time.

Too bad i never had this game in my hand :( I'll check it out.

Does this game allow to play with several players like Roh and play with friends ?
Kroah
Site Admin

Postby xot » 11 Feb 2006, 02:34

It supports multiple player characters, but I don't know about multiplayer. If an internet/emulated game can allow multiple players to share the same controller, maybe they could take turns. The engine doesn't ever require simultaneous play. If you like mythology, ACS comes with an adventure called Rivers Of Light based on the Gilgamesh epic.
xot

Postby Kroah » 11 Feb 2006, 02:51

Yeah, i love the mythology background of RoH.

In RoH, when a player is added, we click on the joystick that will control the character. That's why we can play it through internet with friends (each one has his controller and character).

But i've never tried to share the same controller with 2 internet players. I'll try that but i don't think it'll works.

So if ACS can't handle 2 joysticks (one for each character), it will be difficult to play it in multiplayer, too bad.

I'll check that next week.

Thanks Xot,
Kroah
Kroah
Site Admin

Playing online?

Postby doctorclu » 26 Sep 2006, 19:32

"In RoH, when a player is added, we click on the joystick that will control the character. That's why we can play it through internet with friends (each one has his controller and character). "

How do you play this online?

All and all I'm really happy this was decompiled, and I would love to ask someone, maybe over chat, what exactly is going on in the code at certain points. I would love to port this to the Newton MessagePad or the Atari Jaguar. :)

Or Cell phone? :)

Anyway, a great game that has inspired my love for greek mythology.

Doc Clu
"Whatever blows your hair back"- Bubsy Bobcat
doctorclu

Postby Kroah » 27 Sep 2006, 22:46

I will not do an in-depth explanation, but you can play through internet with the emulator "Atari 800 Win PLus". Launch the emulator, go to "Input->Network game" and you'll see more options about network game.

If you want more informations about multiplayer game on atari, you can check the website http://atarimule.neotechgaming.com/, there's lot of informations on how to play MULE online (and so Return of Heracles, because each player uses a joystick like mule).

Good luck,
Kroah
Kroah
Site Admin

Re: Return of Heracles

Postby doctorclu » 24 Mar 2010, 07:51

Really appreciate the advice on how to play the network game, and really appreciate the attention you gave this game.

I tried to access your website a few days ago with little luck, had me worried that this website was gone.

. . Doctor Clu (member of...)
)\,,/ PRISON BOARD BBS==972-329-0781 / telnet://rdfig.net
/(- _O) Fido/Dovenet Messages, Games, chat, newsgroup & Mail
( \____ ) Atari / Commodore BBS list (X at main then A or C)
"Whatever blows your hair back"- Bubsy Bobcat
doctorclu

Re: Return of Heracles

Postby Kroah » 25 Mar 2010, 10:37

doctorclu wrote:Really appreciate the advice on how to play the network game, and really appreciate the attention you gave this game.

Oddly, i recently played it with a friend of mine. I picked Asclepius (the one with auto-heal). With his low base stats, that wasn't a piece of cake...

doctorclu wrote:I tried to access your website a few days ago with little luck, had me worried that this website was gone.

Thanks for the info, but I don't see anything related to this in my logs.
However, the connection to the database was broken, so some pages of Return of Heracles showed connection errors. This is fixed.
Kroah
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion