Future plans?

Talk about everything related to CoCoNet or Colonial Conquest!

Moderator: Kroah

Sources

Postby dizt3mp3r » 09 Mar 2018, 21:34

Kroah - first of all Hello!

I am STILL playing coconet regularly and it works on Win 10 with no issue (for me).

You talked about releasing the source. I'd be interested to see the source. Did you ever publish it? I think you should. I have no plans for it but it would be good to know it was available.
dizt3mp3r

Re: Future plans?

Postby dizt3mp3r » 30 Sep 2019, 17:10

Kroah - an essential bump.

Your game - I am STILL playing it weekly, I enjoy it as much as I ever did.

But - you aren't updating it anymore - it is time to make sure it lives on.

Please, now, open source it, move your code to Sourceforge and let us have a look at your creation. We can at the very least make small changes and debug issues. Your customisation tool especially needs some help as the map editor is unstable and it prevents others from creating custom maps.

So, please open source it, provide some building advice and list the tools you used to build it. It is time for an update to keep it up to date with the later/latest tools.
dizt3mp3r

Postby dizt3mp3r » 15 Dec 2020, 18:21

Kroah,

Please DO make the source code available so that your loyal users can make a few changes.

I'd really like to turn off the call home that the program does looking for contact the server. It often fails to do so, causing a pause for 20 or seconds or more before failing.

It would also be a very interesting exercise to see how you coded the game.

Perhaps it is time for the game to go FOSS and it would make a nice Christmas present for your remaining few loyal users.
dizt3mp3r

Postby dizt3mp3r » 30 Oct 2022, 13:57

Kroah, open source Coconet!

My skills have improved, I'd love to be able to contribute.
dizt3mp3r

Postby Christine » 13 Nov 2022, 18:04

just a little note on porting coconet with SDL.
Maybe you dont have to port the hole game, just make sure that wine or proton can start it.
It tried it today with proton, but I would need the XNA framework not lower then 3.1. IIRC XNA is just a sound module. I'm not sure if the install routine checks for other depencys after XNA, but if it is only the sound it would be fine for me to play without it.

After some years without coconet, it would be great to play it again on my linux machine.

Unfortunatly I am not a C# programmer. But nice to see that others will contribute!
Christine

Previous

Return to CoCoNet Discussion