CoCoNet 0.9.9 released

Talk about everything related to CoCoNet or Colonial Conquest!

Moderator: Kroah

Re: CoCoNet 0.9.9 released

Postby Symoon » 14 Nov 2009, 12:20

Ok, I simulated a 3-players game on my computer. A few thoughts:

1. When a player is eliminated.
He can see all that happens on the map, which is excellent. He even sees the other players moves. BUT he needs to end his turn.
If he's watching the others, he's not warned when they have finished their turn.
That means all the activ eplayers will be waiting for him to end his turn, while he will be watching the map to see if other players are still moving.
There should be:
- either a warning to eliminated players that all active players left are waiting for battle
- either the eliminated players don't have to end their turn, and stop watching as soon as all active players are waiting for the battle (that would prevent an angry loser from blocking the game of the remaining players if he's angry of having lost ;))

2. Waiting for other players
Not very important, but that would be cool to know which players we are waiting for (in the status line for instance). I know some players that are very long to play and that should let us tell them to hurry ;-)

That's all for now.
If you want to simulate multiplayer games, just copy the Coconet folder as much as players you want to simulate.
Symoon
CoCoNet Beta Tester

Postby Monty » 14 Nov 2009, 15:08

today i played coconet online with a friend (jens). i started the server.
eventually he had a crash with an error popup while i was still in the game. i then quickly saved the game and when i reloaded it we were able to continue the game from the beginning of the season we had been in (already performed moves were gone though).
then later in the game i was disconnected from the net because of the 24h forced disconnection rule of my provider :roll: . my game was obviously not affected but he was kicked out of the game. again i quickly saved the game but when we restarted it i tried to load the autosave game (saved at 13:33h, crash at 13:36h) but it won't load. an error window popped up with the message: ""scenario: aiType isn't initialized". same with the manually saved game. :cry:

edit: you might need the savegames too...
Attachments
Logs_Jens.zip
(12.68 KiB) Downloaded 240 times
Save Games.zip
(41.95 KiB) Downloaded 256 times
Logs_Monty.zip
(18.71 KiB) Downloaded 217 times
Monty
CoCoNet Beta Tester

Postby Kroah » 14 Nov 2009, 19:39

Symoon wrote:2. Waiting for other players
Not very important, but that would be cool to know which players we are waiting for (in the status line for instance). I know some players that are very long to play and that should let us tell them to hurry ;-)

Bottom of the screen there are players status. In green are players ready, in red are players others are waiting for. Don't you have seen it? Or i misunderstood?
Kroah
Site Admin

Postby Symoon » 14 Nov 2009, 21:21

Kroah wrote:
Symoon wrote:2. Waiting for other players

Bottom of the screen there are players status. In green are players ready, in red are players others are waiting for. Don't you have seen it? Or i misunderstood?

Oooh, my bad, I'm not used playing on a 1680*1050 screen. I didn't notice, sorry !
Symoon
CoCoNet Beta Tester

Postby Kroah » 14 Nov 2009, 22:27

Symoon wrote:EDIT: Ok, just read above, there's a general default option, and checking the box will be the exception. That seems fine, things should not be too complicated to setup before playing.

In fact, there isn't a general default option. The checkbox is checked by default (return if owner changed).

The only reason i do not add a setting in the menu is the string length of the feature name. This should not be greater than 20 characters. I could also add a "Settings" window and add the feature into, but this is more work.

Symoon wrote:BTW, just to drive you crazy, an option "return if the owner changed and I'm not at war with him" would be nice... No, stop, I'm kidding ;-)

What you said is interesting.

My initial code checked if the attacker was "at war" with the destination owner and the army only returned at home if:
- the destination owner changed
- the player is not at war with the new owner

But i removed the second condition because it gave some strange results when the war was declared during the same round.

If you think this is more consistent to add the "return if the owner changed and i'm not at war with him", let me know, i'll add it back. The feature will then be called something like "Always attack".
Kroah
Site Admin

Postby Symoon » 15 Nov 2009, 00:12

Kroah wrote:My initial code checked if the attacker was "at war" with the destination owner and the army only returned at home if:
- the destination owner changed
- the player is not at war with the new owner

But i removed the second condition because it gave some strange results when the war was declared during the same round.

If you think this is more consistent to add the "return if the owner changed and i'm not at war with him", let me know, i'll add it back. The feature will then be called something like "Always attack".

IMHO if it gave strange results, then it is wiser to leave it aside.

About eliminated players needing to end their turn manually, could it be possible to change this ? What do you guys think about it ?
Symoon
CoCoNet Beta Tester

Postby Kroah » 15 Nov 2009, 00:47

Symoon wrote:About eliminated players needing to end their turn manually, could it be possible to change this ? What do you guys think about it ?

Actually, any player (spectator or not) can check the "Auto end turn" feature in the menu. The player can later uncheck it.

Players don't have this enabled as soon as they are eliminated but they generally enable it 2 or 3 turns after their elimination.

Do you think this should be enabled by default when eliminated?

When a player leaves, the game stops immediately. I'm trying to let a spectator (native or after elimination) leaves without the games stops.
Kroah
Site Admin

Postby Symoon » 21 Nov 2009, 16:39

Kroah wrote:
Symoon wrote:About eliminated players needing to end their turn manually, could it be possible to change this ? What do you guys think about it ?

Actually, any player (spectator or not) can check the "Auto end turn" feature in the menu. The player can later uncheck it.

Yes that would be nice.
Any eliminated player can be angry or leaving the computer to do something else and forget about the others, then the game would be blocked.
Symoon
CoCoNet Beta Tester

Postby Kroah » 15 Dec 2009, 16:14

Symoon wrote:
Kroah wrote:

Yes that would be nice.
Any eliminated player can be angry or leaving the computer to do something else and forget about the others, then the game would be blocked.

Eliminated players now have the "auto end turn" option checked by default.
However, they still receive the message box "You have lost" needed to be closed to let the game continue.
I think I will add a timer to auto-close this message box after X seconds.
If the player rage quit, the game will not be interrupted (an eliminated player becomes a spectator, and a spectator can now quit the game without interrupting it).
Kroah
Site Admin

Previous

Return to CoCoNet Discussion