Future plans?

Talk about everything related to CoCoNet or Colonial Conquest!

Moderator: Kroah

Re: Future plans?

Postby dizt3mp3r » 23 Feb 2012, 17:57

I agree, those are my ideas of possible future plans, that's all.

Better on the destination menu then the source as you will have multiple attacks outgoing.
dizt3mp3r

Postby Kroah » 23 Feb 2012, 18:43

dizt3mp3r wrote:I agree, those are my ideas of possible future plans, that's all.

Yes, and they are always welcomed. Thank you.

CivLord wrote:Another idea would be adding an extra option to the context-menu of the destination area, to cancel all incomming moves/ attacks.
dizt3mp3r wrote:Better on the destination menu then the source as you will have multiple attacks outgoing.
I like this idea. Thank you.
I will add an entry in the area context menu to cancel all incoming moves.
Kroah
Site Admin

compile for linux

Postby dizt3mp3r » 09 Mar 2012, 13:46

Coconet for Linux?

@Kroah, If I remember righly I think you said that Coconet was programmed in C++? or am I making that up?

If so, I presume it would not be a huge job to create a linux version, getting to grips with a new compiler might be a challenge but it is eminently do-able. Cross-platform Coconet would be a good thing and Coconet is the sort of game that the Linux community thrives upon.

I have a mix of Linux/windows machines and would love the opportunity to test/play on the linux laptop too.

Not a priority though, just a thought.
dizt3mp3r

Postby Kroah » 14 Mar 2012, 18:20

dizt3mp3r wrote:Coconet for Linux?

@Kroah, If I remember righly I think you said that Coconet was programmed in C++? or am I making that up?

Unfortunatly, no.

CoCoNet is programmed in C# 3.5 + XNA + WCF + GDI.

Many features are dependent on this environment:
- UI+custom theme use Windows Forms
- gfx uses Direct3D (XNA with shaders) or GDI+
- sound (XNA)
- network uses WCF (UD, TCP, OperationContract, DataContract, DataContractSerializer, XmlSerialiazer)

2 years ago i tried some portable libraries (SDL...) but i ended up with so many things to rewrite (mainly network and UI), i gave up.

I don't think this will be a trivial task. Next time, i would began directly with java SDL or something like this.

Sources will be available after release, so anyone could try to port it, with my best wishes.
Kroah
Site Admin

Postby dizt3mp3r » 24 Apr 2012, 18:05

So, Kroah, when is the next release? Can we hope soonish?
dizt3mp3r

Postby Kroah » 24 Apr 2012, 18:53

dizt3mp3r wrote:So, Kroah, when is the next release? Can we hope soonish?

Yes, it's getting hot.
I'm struggling to find some nasty multiplayer bugs, but the finishing line gets closer.
After fixing them, i will release the beta with a custom map (as well as the very light editor).

The technical specs of the xml format for custom maps will come later (although most of the tags are obvious).

Cya
Kroah
Site Admin

Postby Monty » 26 Apr 2012, 02:30

:) Great!
Monty
CoCoNet Beta Tester

Postby Symoon » 27 May 2012, 12:11

Tried 9.14 yesterday, a 2 players game with 2 instances of Coconet on the same computer (Win XP), ran perfectly, that was fun :)
Symoon
CoCoNet Beta Tester

Postby Kroah » 28 May 2012, 18:40

Thank you for your report!

Btw, still some tuning in the custom map before the 0.9.15 release.
Kroah
Site Admin

Postby HolySpirit » 18 Dec 2012, 21:23

My main problem with the AI (only played Atari ST version of AI here) is that the AI players are too weak in my view because they are too keen on:

1. attacking too many players at once
2. do endless attacks to the factories - most often without no use
3. seems to miss out on neutral countries obvious to spy and then attack
4. wasting there navy in attacks when they should be saving it (this is the one point I am less sure about)

What do you think about this?
HolySpirit

Postby Christine » 11 Jan 2013, 11:59

There is a little feature I'm still missing:
automated reinforcements.

I'll prefer a troop strength between 100 and 250 soldiers per country. In some games on greater maps it is a little bit annoying to have a an eye on the troop strength in every country. Unlike the original game, Coconet shows me the strength of all of countrys countrys at once and also which country were attacked.
A little automatisation-feature for reinforce them would be nice:
search which sea-province has an troopstrength under [number]
shipping troops from [homeprovince] as reinforcements with using [number] ships for this automatisation.

and 2nd:
which player, then not playing as japan of england, uses his/her ships in every round?
So an automatisation of "let the ships swim between [country-list]" to prevent then from attacks.
maybe with the addition: "and ship then every [spring] to [(home)country]"

and 3rd:
an automatisation like the first, but only for 1 country: "always ship troops from [(home)country] to [country] with [limit/nolimit]"

this would be usefull for russia: shipping troops to an american country is an must in every game. With this feature, it woulnt be annoying anymore to move the ships in every turn to and fro.
Christine

Postby deatone » 19 Jan 2013, 19:35

This would be awesome on the ipad or iphone. It's the perfect format for these devices. Any chance of this happening?
deatone

Postby dizt3mp3r » 20 Jan 2013, 15:39

I think this is unlikely as Kroah has written Coconet using Microsoft development tools.
dizt3mp3r

Postby Kroah » 22 Jan 2013, 01:16

@Christine: thank you for your feedbacks, i put your idea on my notes.

deatone wrote:This would be awesome on the ipad or iphone. It's the perfect format for these devices. Any chance of this happening?

As dizt3mp3r stated, CoCoNet is written in C# with XNA, using the Windows Communication Framework and Direct3D.
On top of that, the Atari theme of the user interface is done by tweaking the Windows forms.

Not that i don't want CoCoNet to be ported, but this would need a lot of time.
Kroah
Site Admin

Postby Kroah » 22 Jan 2013, 01:26

HolySpirit wrote:My main problem with the AI (only played Atari ST version of AI here) is that the AI players are too weak in my view because they are too keen on:

1. attacking too many players at once
2. do endless attacks to the factories - most often without no use
3. seems to miss out on neutral countries obvious to spy and then attack
4. wasting there navy in attacks when they should be saving it (this is the one point I am less sure about)

What do you think about this?

I agree with your remarks.
The Atari AI has some issues.

The next release will include a slightly improved Atari AI.

For people having a good knowlege of VS.Net and C# (and lot of time), it's still possible to write a custom AI. Either by improving an existing one, or by creating a fresh one.
Kroah
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to CoCoNet Discussion