Income model

Talk about everything related to CoCoNet or Colonial Conquest!

Moderator: Kroah

Income model

Postby Kamino » 12 Feb 2011, 19:10

Hi everybody,

1) It was a very good surprise to discover this PC version of a game I loved 20 years ago. Thx a lot Kroah for this amazing job ! 8) The game is faster, the UI is far better, the map view larger.

2) I have never understood why game industry didn't make a sequel for this game. All my friends loved it. That's a mystery.

3) The 'official release' didn't work on my 64bits Vista OS. I used the special compilation I found elsewhere in the forum.

I have a question about the annual income model, as I never found documentation about it.
In your version, it looks like you get the sum of your territories value + bonus for each full region you entirely control.
This full-region bonus seems to be random. How does it work ?

But one thing I remember very well from our Atari ST games is a big income bonus we can get by a fast expansion during the first year.
Example : ~$60.000.000 for england with ~15 territories.
We never understood the exact mechanism, but it looks like spreading fast was the key, and it was easier for nations with strong fleet and more money to spy/subvert.

Anyway, I think a good enhancement to the game would be to create income rewards for :
- presence in all regions (+5M for 8, +10M for 9, +15M for 9 if the only one)
- partial domination of a region :
* at least one territory : +1M
* more territories than other nations : +4M
* >50% : +7M
* 100% : +12M

Best regards,
Kamino
Kamino

Re: Income model

Postby Kroah » 19 Nov 2011, 01:23

Sorry, i've just noticed the post i did 9 months ago has never been commited... so i do it now.

Kamino wrote:1) It was a very good surprise to discover this PC version of a game I loved 20 years ago. Thx a lot Kroah for this amazing job ! 8) The game is faster, the UI is far better, the map view larger.

Thank you. What you say is the exact reason i did this remake. Enhance the game while keeping it the same :).

Kamino wrote:2) I have never understood why game industry didn't make a sequel for this game. All my friends loved it. That's a mystery.

Yes, and it's even more strange an Amiga port has never been done by SSI !

Kamino wrote:3) The 'official release' didn't work on my 64bits Vista OS. I used the special compilation I found elsewhere in the forum.

Glad you found it on the forum, i still haven't updated the last release with it...

Kamino wrote:I have a question about the annual income model, as I never found documentation about it.
In your version, it looks like you get the sum of your territories value + bonus for each full region you entirely control.
This full-region bonus seems to be random. How does it work ?

Yes, you are right. The bonus is a value between $0 and $11,900,000 whatever the region is.

Kamino wrote:But one thing I remember very well from our Atari ST games is a big income bonus we can get by a fast expansion during the first year.
Example : ~$60.000.000 for england with ~15 territories.
We never understood the exact mechanism, but it looks like spreading fast was the key, and it was easier for nations with strong fleet and more money to spy/subvert.

Strange, i've never seen this behavior. I haven't found anything in the disassembly either.

Cheers and thank you for your feedbacks!
Kroah
Site Admin

Return to CoCoNet Discussion