CoCoNet doesnt run under WinXP

Talk about everything related to CoCoNet or Colonial Conquest!

Moderator: Kroah

CoCoNet doesnt run under WinXP

Postby Christine » 31 May 2012, 11:32

Hi!

Our fav. Game does not run under WinXP. Tested with the last version, the debug version and the actual version.

********************************************************************************
* Date: 2011-11-02 16:52:29
* Calling Assembly: Shared (Version: 0.9.13.40 Date:2010-01-30 02:49:22)
* Executing Assembly: Shared (Version: 0.9.13.40 Date:2010-01-30 02:49:22)
* Entry Assembly: CoCoNet (Version: 0.9.13.40 Date:2010-01-30 02:49:24)
* Build: Debug
********************************************************************************
System.InvalidOperationException: An unexpected error has occurred.
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.PixelShader..ctor(GraphicsDevice graphicsDevice, Byte[] shaderCode)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.SpriteBatch.ConstructPlatformData()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.SpriteBatch..ctor(GraphicsDevice graphicsDevice)
at Shared.GraphicsDeviceControl..ctor() in D:\Archivable\Reverse Engineering\Colonial Conquest\CoCoNet\Shared\XNA\GraphicsDeviceControl.cs:line 32
at Shared.MapControl..ctor() in D:\Archivable\Reverse Engineering\Colonial Conquest\CoCoNet\Shared\XNA\MapControl.cs:line 18
at Shared.ClientForm..ctor(SimpleClient simpleClient) in D:\Archivable\Reverse Engineering\Colonial Conquest\CoCoNet\Shared\UI\Forms\ClientForm.cs:line 244
at CoCoNet.Program.ClientThread() in D:\Archivable\Reverse Engineering\Colonial Conquest\CoCoNet\CoCoNet\Program.cs:line 182
at CoCoNet.Program.Main() in D:\Archivable\Reverse Engineering\Colonial Conquest\CoCoNet\CoCoNet\Program.cs:line 157

* Date: 2012-05-30 18:13:42
* Calling Assembly: Shared (Version: 0.9.14.41 Date:2012-05-30 18:07:16)
* Executing Assembly: Shared (Version: 0.9.14.41 Date:2012-05-30 18:07:16)
* Entry Assembly: CoCoNet (Version: 0.9.14.41 Date:2012-05-30 18:07:16)
* Build: Debug
System.InvalidOperationException: An unexpected error has occurred.
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.PixelShader..ctor(GraphicsDevice graphicsDevice, Byte[] shaderCode)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.SpriteBatch.ConstructPlatformData()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.SpriteBatch..ctor(GraphicsDevice graphicsDevice)
at Shared.GraphicsDeviceControl..ctor() in D:\Archivable\Reverse Engineering\Colonial Conquest\CoCoNet\Shared\XNA\GraphicsDeviceControl.cs:line 32
at Shared.MapControl..ctor() in D:\Archivable\Reverse Engineering\Colonial Conquest\CoCoNet\Shared\XNA\MapControl.cs:line 18
at Shared.ClientForm..ctor(SimpleClient simpleClient) in D:\Archivable\Reverse Engineering\Colonial Conquest\CoCoNet\Shared\UI\Forms\ClientForm.cs:line 244
at CoCoNet.Program.ClientThread() in D:\Archivable\Reverse Engineering\Colonial Conquest\CoCoNet\CoCoNet\Program.cs:line 182
at CoCoNet.Program.Main() in D:\Archivable\Reverse Engineering\Colonial Conquest\CoCoNet\CoCoNet\Program.cs:line 157

It would be great to play the game without the need to install a new windows version.

btw ... in the 1990s I played the game with my cousin nearly every week on his old atari ST machine.
Now, ~20 years later I play the game with our kids (10 and 12)... they really LOVE it. Unfortunatly my husband dont like the game... We have only 2 >winXP machines. My old one is to slow for a new windows version... my last wish is to play the game together with my BOTH kids. :) PLACE make it possible! =)

grotjes
Stine
Christine

Re: CoCoNet doesnt run under WinXP

Postby Kroah » 31 May 2012, 18:10

Welcome Christine,

CoCoNet should run fine under Windows XP, Vista and Seven.
I myself code, debug, test and play under Windows XP.

It seems to be a graphic software problem. I have tried to catch most of the errors occuring when creating the XNA device but some may pass through.

In your case it returns a "System.InvalidOperationException: An unexpected error has occurred." which is not really helpful (thanks Microsoft...).

Please, post here the file "CoCoNet GraphicsAdapter.log" (use "upload attachment" when replying). This will give me the exact graphic adapter and driver used.

If possible, can you answer to the following questions:

- Do you have installed XNA via the link provided in the CoCoNet page ? (XNA version 3.1 redistributable)
- Do you have an up to date DirectX install ?
- Do you have an up to date graphic driver ?
- Do you have tried to play in software mode ? (uncheck direct 3D in the first dialog box which appears when you launch the game)
- When does the game crashes ? (at start, when joining, creating, playing...)

Best regards,
Pascal
Kroah
Site Admin

Postby Christine » 31 May 2012, 19:51

Hi Pascal,

I've tested it under 3 different Machines with 3 different Graficcards.

First Configuration:
Amd64, 32bit WinXP
Nvidia GFX with actual Driver
XNA 3.1 redist installed
DirectX: newest available version

play in software mode AFAIK not tryed

Configuration 2:
amd32 (duron), winXP 32bit
VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon RV100 QY [Radeon 7000/VE]
XNA 3.1 redist installed
DX: as wanted on homepage
XNA 3.1 redist installed
Play in softwaremode AND D3D doesnt work

3 configuration: unknown, unknown. I can test it tomorrow if you really need this info

When does it crash?
On every machine in exactley the same moment:
while configuring the players (the screen where you can select the AI, the country you will play and so on).
It crashes while configuring, not after pressing the start button

Unfortunatley I can only give you the logfile from this machine at the moment (AMD32 Duron), my last try was to start a game in softwaremode.
Christine

Postby Christine » 31 May 2012, 19:53

oh... i've not seen the "upload file" dialog.. well, here it is. ;)

edit:
blahhh ... the extension .log is not allowed. If this forum likes it more to rename thouse files ... ^ ^
Attachments
gfx_log.txt
(10.36 KiB) Downloaded 368 times
Christine

Postby Kroah » 31 May 2012, 21:27

Here are the interesting lines:

Vertex Shader:
MaxVertexShaderProfile: VS_1_1
VertexShaderVersion: 1.1

Pixel Shader:
MaxPixelShaderProfile: Unknown
PixelShaderVersion: 0.0

The graphic card "RADEON 7000 / RADEON VE Family (Microsoft Corporation)" does not have any pixel shader.
CoCoNet requires Pixel Shader version 2.0 or higher for direct 3D rendering, BUT should work in software mode.

Please, make sure the checkbox "Use Direct 3D" is unchecked.
You can also edit the file "Config.xml" and set to false the value "Options_UseDirect3D" (if i remember correctly):
Code: Select all
    <add key="Options_UseDirect3D" value="False" />

BTW, I have fixed (in the next release) the bug which crashes the game when an "Unknown" pixel shader profile is detected.

Concerning your other computers, if the exception is the same "System.InvalidOperationException: An unexpected error has occurred.", you can only play in software mode.
I have several computers under windows xp having no hardware accelerated graphic card, and it works fine in software mode (not as fast but it works).

Edit: added the .log type to attachments
Kroah
Site Admin

Postby Christine » 01 Jun 2012, 10:21

I've found 2 options:
Code: Select all
<add key="Options_UseDirect3D" value="False" />
<add key="ForceDirect3D" value="False" />

both are set to false.

I'm relatively sure that my amd64 systems graficcard supports pixelshader2.0. The Computers graficcard is only 3 years old and IIRC, the pixelshader (2.0?) came out before...

I'll test the other system within the next to hours.
Christine

Postby Christine » 01 Jun 2012, 13:33

Okay, coconet works fine on the "unknown" system (pentium M, 1.4ghz, intel 82852/82855 GM/GME Graficcard, ..). Naturally without d3d. Before, i've just forgotten that XNA 3.5 wont install on this machine, so I installed the 4.0 version. Works fine now (an intressting issue is that the saving dialog is really slow... buw how knows why, its an old machine).

but that doesnt explain why it wont work on my other two machines.
Christine

Postby Kroah » 04 Jun 2012, 15:14

Christine wrote:Okay, coconet works fine on the "unknown" system (pentium M, 1.4ghz, intel 82852/82855 GM/GME Graficcard, ..). Naturally without d3d. Before, i've just forgotten that XNA 3.5 wont install on this machine, so I installed the 4.0 version. Works fine now (an intressting issue is that the saving dialog is really slow... buw how knows why, its an old machine).

but that doesnt explain why it wont work on my other two machines.

Nice to see software mode runs on your older machine.

If you have some time, i'm still interested to read the exception stack and the graphic adapter log of one of your other machine.
I have no clue on how to fix the issue without them.

Thanks.
Kroah
Site Admin

Postby Christine » 05 Jun 2012, 12:04

Ive already sent them. The exeption log was in my first posting and the over was the gfx_log.txt. I've just forgotten to tell you that they are from the same computer... But here are the complete files (including the old loggin from the old coconet version).

I'll send you the logfiles from my other-other computer around the next week. I dont have access to my newest machine at the moment.

by the way... to get an account for this forum was a really hard chapter. For some reasons the activation emails warent sent to my mailprovider (www.gmx.net). The function "send activation email again" didn't help. Maybe gmx.net totally blocks emails from this domain (the mails weren't in the "spam"-folder, it was just like they were never send.)
To help me out I created my account using the mailinator.com service.
If that's really gmx.net's foult, you should put a warning on the registration-page.
Attachments
CoCoNet Exceptions.log
(25.49 KiB) Downloaded 378 times
CoCoNet GraphicsAdapter.log
(10.36 KiB) Downloaded 382 times
Christine

Postby Kroah » 05 Jun 2012, 16:23

Christine wrote:Ive already sent them. The exeption log was in my first posting and the over was the gfx_log.txt. I've just forgotten to tell you that they are from the same computer... But here are the complete files (including the old loggin from the old coconet version).

I'll send you the logfiles from my other-other computer around the next week. I dont have access to my newest machine at the moment.
I'm trying to sum up the logs you sent.

- You have 3 computers A, B & C but you can't access your third computer right now (computer C).
- You say you have already sent the logs, but i only see the logs from one computer at the start of this thread. Let's call it computer A.
- So, the logs from your last reply is from computer B ?
- Inside this last log, i see an exception about "Failed to set the master volume for sound effects" which is not a Pixel Shader problem.
Does it occur on the computer with XNA 4.0 ? (= which computer A, B or C is XNA 4.0 ?). Do you have a soundcard installed or an integrated chipset?
Kroah
Site Admin

Postby Christine » 05 Jun 2012, 23:11

okay.. its a bit complicated... i have to many computers.

I have had 3 computers were coconet doesnt run. B is fixed. The prob was: XNA 3.5 could not be installed. I installed 4.0 instead and coconet runs fine now.

So we only have A & C.
I get the Access to the C-computer next week.

You have only seen the logfiles from computer A.
A has XNA 3.5 installed.
This computers motherboard has an integrated soundcard:
00:07.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 50)
Im sure windows has installed the soundcard correctly but this machine dont have any speakers installed so I never tested it. I'll test it tomorrow.
Christine

Postby Christine » 06 Jun 2012, 16:37

its just that i thought. The snd device is correctly installed.
Christine

Postby Kroah » 06 Jun 2012, 18:43

Christine wrote:its just that i thought. The snd device is correctly installed.

I will add a check if the soundcard is not detected by XNA, thank you.
Kroah
Site Admin

Postby Christine » 11 Jun 2012, 16:53

I've downloaded the latest coconet version to my last computer: Works fine now. Maybe it was the same problem like before on computer A.
Thanks for fixing it!
Christine

Return to CoCoNet Discussion