CoCoNet 0.9.15 Preview

Talk about everything related to CoCoNet or Colonial Conquest!

Moderator: Kroah

CoCoNet 0.9.15 Preview

Postby Kroah » 11 Jun 2012, 18:19

Hello everyone,

Some news about the next release of CoCoNet.

We did a long session this weekend with some friends using the new custom map i did for the launch.
This map has been edited with 2 paint programs (ArtGem+Photoshop), the CoCoNet (lightweight) map editor and an xml text editor.
It features 8 players, ~185 countries and 13 starting locations.

Playing with a new map was a fun experience, having to think for new strategies.

Here's a little teaser:
Preview.png
Preview.png (95.34 KiB) Viewed 9790 times
Kroah
Site Admin

Re: CoCoNet 0.9.15 Preview

Postby CivLord » 11 Jun 2012, 19:57

Wow, that looks very enticing! :D
The old, familiar look in a completely new way. :P

I hope the test went okay, so we can all try our hands on this soon.

(But first I have to go out to buy a new keyboard. I seem to have drooled on it a little. :wink: )
Last edited by CivLord on 13 Jun 2012, 18:39, edited 1 time in total.
CivLord

Postby cr1x » 13 Jun 2012, 14:46

Wowweeeee, absolutely loving it. :shock:

Struggling to make sense of what I am seeing. What a way to freshen up the game; desperate to give it a go.

Have all the outstanding issues been eliminated in the latest build? Do you have an ETA for release?
cr1x

Postby Christine » 19 Jun 2012, 01:30

I cant believe it. Looks intressting, but it looks also like that I get interessted in making some maps... ;)
Christine

Postby Kroah » 20 Jun 2012, 19:00

cr1x wrote:Have all the outstanding issues been eliminated in the latest build? Do you have an ETA for release?

I'm currently working on fixing the issues. It's almost done but can't provide any deadline even if it should be "soon"... you know, job, private life, etc.

You can see there all the games we have done so far for testing/debugging/fixing issues (and some fun ofc) :
http://bringerp.free.fr/RE/ColonialConquest/MetaServerV2/games.php5?all
Kroah
Site Admin

Postby dizt3mp3r » 21 Jun 2012, 01:07

Fantastic news - well done for all the hard work. Very keen to get my hands on it.
dizt3mp3r

Postby dizt3mp3r » 21 Jun 2012, 23:29

Can I help you test?
dizt3mp3r

Postby Kroah » 25 Jun 2012, 12:09

Hello,

We have done another long private game last night, A rough length of 8 hours. We got lots of fun and we keep asking ourself : why can't we find any similar strategy multiplayer lightweight game today ??

Well, playing a new map is very (very) fun and i hope many people are eager to build custom maps. The included map editor helps a lot to do the boring stuffs, even if some things need an xml editor.

You can build your custom AI too, but it's a difficult task and need a good C#/VisualStudio knowledge. You will need to debug it, read through the engine and understand sync problems if it comes up. I will still help anyone wanting to create one, if your are really self-motivated.

I know some people here are ready to help me testing the game, but it's actually easier for me to play with my bro : we are talking with Skype in French and, above all, i can interrupt the game to fix a bug (sometimes up to several hours) then reload the game and play again until we find another bug. This is less time consuming than writing down all the bugs, then fixing them all.
Anyway, thanks for your proposal. Your feedback will be welcomes after release.

In this last session, we haven't found any major bugs.
Still some small enhancements to do, then everything well be fine.

Cheers
Kroah
Site Admin

Postby dizt3mp3r » 25 Jun 2012, 13:38

Very good!
dizt3mp3r

Postby cr1x » 25 Jun 2012, 14:51

Hi Kroah, thank you for continuing to work on this game, it is looking very promising indeed.

For information, I have discovered another game very, very similar to Colonial Conquest and available on iphone/IPAD. It is actually very good and works well with a touch screen. It is called 'Empires: World Conquest' and was created by, I assume, a Frenchman, Fabrice Noui.

Worth having a look: the rules are almost identical. My preference, however, is still for the original Colonial Conquest; although I have had some very enjoyable games of both.

Very much looking forward to the release of 0.9.15 and at trying my hand at building a custom map of my own. Do you think there will be somewhere for us to upload and share our custom maps?
cr1x

Postby Kroah » 26 Jun 2012, 15:21

cr1x wrote:For information, I have discovered another game very, very similar to Colonial Conquest and available on iphone/IPAD. It is actually very good and works well with a touch screen. It is called 'Empires: World Conquest' and was created by, I assume, a Frenchman, Fabrice Noui.
Yes, i have seen this game some weeks ago.

I was first pleasantly suprised.
Then really disappointed... because he doesn't mention Colonial Conquest at all, and he makes money with it. This is not my state of mind.
He could at least give some credits...

Anyway, it still seems fun, but i don't have an iphone/ipad to test it.

cr1x wrote:Very much looking forward to the release of 0.9.15 and at trying my hand at building a custom map of my own. Do you think there will be somewhere for us to upload and share our custom maps?
Yes.

Imho, the best way to share custom maps without spending too much time will be to post them on the forum.
I will add a subforum to the colonial conquest forum. I will add a link from the CoCoNet webpage and maybe some screenshots too.
FYI, owning the map is not mandatory to join a game created with a custom map. Each player will download it automatically.

After the release, I will try to write a small manual for the editor and some explanation about the map format (xml, pictures...).
Kroah
Site Admin

Postby Christine » 26 Jun 2012, 17:28

Kroah wrote:We have done another long private game last night, A rough length of 8 hours. We got lots of fun and we keep asking ourself : why can't we find any similar strategy multiplayer lightweight game today ??

Actually I'm working on a little php program in this behavior (lightwight strategy). My first step is a simple remake of colonial conquest but I have some other goals too like variable country borders.
In some days I will beginn to write the map-script. This script will just read in bmp/gif maps. Maybe I can make it CoCoNet-compatible.

But its just the learn php again.. I dont want to make any money with it. I am actually not sure if I will release it someday. Maybe, but maybe not.
Christine

Postby Kroah » 27 Jun 2012, 00:11

All known bugs are now fixed and the game stable. No more changes are done to the codebase.

CoCoNet 1.0.0 will be released in a few days when the game will be packaged and the website updated ! Be patient :)
Kroah
Site Admin

Postby cr1x » 27 Jun 2012, 14:43

Exciting news. Waiting patiently...ish :D
cr1x

Return to CoCoNet Discussion