CoCoNet 1.0.0 released

Talk about everything related to CoCoNet or Colonial Conquest!

Moderator: Kroah

CoCoNet 1.0.0 released

Postby Kroah » 28 Jun 2012, 01:57

I'm pleased to announce you CoCoNet 1.0.0 is released! :)

Download link : CoCoNet Homepage
Gameplay video: http://youtu.be/jxk7zU-7pbk

I have created a new subforum for everything related to custom maps.

I will try to write some specification of the custom map format and the map editor (sooner or) later.
Meanwhile, you can check the included custom map "Struggle for Elora" or ask your questions to the subforum directly.

Don't forget: a custom map needs to be unzipped in its own folder to be loaded in the map editor (folder name = map name = zip name without extension).

I'm eager to play with YOUR custom maps!

Have fun!

Changelog:
Fixed: Many bug-fixes
New: Enhanced network engine
New: Enhanced lobby
New: Check for new version on startup
New: Map information window (lobby & ingame)
New: Finishing a turn triggers a sound to other players
New: Moves can be canceled
New: Area tooltip displays the attacking major
New: MetaServer keeps data of old games
New: Left click interface option
New: Mute sound option
New: Disable memorizing statistics option
New: Custom map support
New: Custom map is downloaded when joining a game
New: Custom map format and integrity checks on load
New: Custom map editor
New: Custom map patterns/flags/boats/factory sprites support
Kroah
Site Admin

Re: CoCoNet 1.0.0 released

Postby Kroah » 29 Jun 2012, 01:50

Added a link to a gameplay video.
Kroah
Site Admin

Postby cr1x » 02 Jul 2012, 12:37

I had a six-hour game last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. The AI played well and I love the fact that you are often forced to fight on two fronts at the same time; sometimes an impossible situation. In my opinion this is a fantastic, engrossing game but also a real time-killer. :twisted:

Kroah, do you plan on continuing to add minor improvements or do you feel it is close to perfection?

I would love to see more stats, it would also be useful to be informed if you are receiving economic aid from another player and how much. I love the fact that unlike the original, I always know where attacks have taken place and who has carried them out.

In my game last night, I tweaked the attack/defence values for USA (as I have always felt that, with their starting position, they are just too powerful). Unfortunately I have found that if you tweak the values of major powers, saved games will not reload, which is a bit of a bummer. Is this likely to change?
cr1x

Postby Kroah » 02 Jul 2012, 22:49

cr1x wrote:Kroah, do you plan on continuing to add minor improvements or do you feel it is close to perfection?

I will still add improvements according to my spare time and to the ratio "added value/time to implement".
So i'm open for any suggestions.

cr1x wrote:I would love to see more stats

Whic ones ?

cr1x wrote:it would also be useful to be informed if you are receiving economic aid from another player and how much

It's already implemented in the current release. But AI don't use the economic aid command (even a custom AI could use it).
You are even informed if you receive a gift (you are not at war vs the sender) or a treaty proposal (you are at war vs the sender).

In the case you send money to a subversionned country, you even get a message and the money back.
Same case if you subversion a subversionned country.

cr1x wrote:In my game last night, I tweaked the attack/defence values for USA (as I have always felt that, with their starting position, they are just too powerful). Unfortunately I have found that if you tweak the values of major powers, saved games will not reload, which is a bit of a bummer. Is this likely to change?

Actually, as soon as the map checksum change, the save game cannot be reloaded.
This is to prevent compatibility problems in a loaded multiplayer game => Everyone needs to play with the same map, the one referenced in the save game.

A single player game being a special case of a multiplayer game, it could seem a strange feature for this point of view.
Kroah
Site Admin

Postby dizt3mp3r » 03 Jul 2012, 12:37

Kroah, where is the list of 1.0 games currently running? as per http://bringerp.free.fr/RE/ColonialConq ... .phtml?all
dizt3mp3r

Postby cr1x » 03 Jul 2012, 14:38

cr1x

Postby cr1x » 03 Jul 2012, 15:12

Kroah, great to hear you will continue to work on the game, where genuine improvements are identified. During my next few games I will analyse how the game plays and look for small improvements that may add value to the overall experience.

Great to hear that economic aid is reported back in multiplayer.

To clarify, With the saved game issue does this mean I cannot create an alternative to the starting settings for major countries and then restore a saved game.

Cheers
cr1x

Postby Kroah » 03 Jul 2012, 19:33

cr1x wrote:To clarify, With the saved game issue does this mean I cannot create an alternative to the starting settings for major countries and then restore a saved game.

I confirm, you can't create an alternative to the starting settings for major countries and then restore a saved game.

Allowing map changes for a save game is a very tough problem.
Some of the map data can't be changed without breaking the game (ex: changing an area inner/outter having boats). And not all problems will occur when loading the savegame, but after several turns.
Some data "could" be changed without breaking the game (like your example about factors).
The way to implement this is not trivial, every data should be flagged as "can be changed or not". And some data are not simple variables : there are lists, properties, attributes, etc.

I know this is an interesting feature, but difficult to implement.
Kroah
Site Admin

Postby dizt3mp3r » 04 Jul 2012, 20:47

Kroah,

sorry, dodgy mouse cause me to delete my own post

I have created a nice article re: Coconet version 1.0.

http://lightquick.co.uk/coconet-version-1.0-ssi-colonial-conquest-is-back.html?Itemid=252
Last edited by dizt3mp3r on 07 Jul 2012, 00:13, edited 1 time in total.
dizt3mp3r

Postby CivLord » 06 Jul 2012, 17:59

I've got a curious problem.

CoCoNet 1.0.0 runs without a hitch on my laptop, but it crashes on my PC, which ran CoCoNet 9.14 without any problems.
Both computers run 64bit Win7.

I can select a map, I can select Players and I can click on [Start] for the first time. The crash occurs when I click on [Start] the second time. It doen't matter which map I choose, if I selct Direct3D or if I wait for about a minute for the second click.

Does anybody have a solution?
I've attached both log files.

CoCoNet - Client (CivLord) - GraphicsAdapter.log.txt
(10.32 KiB) Downloaded 354 times

CoCoNet Exceptions.log.txt
(9.69 KiB) Downloaded 364 times

BTW Kroah, you've done a marvelous job, it's a great game. The tweaks and the new Elora map make it a whole new challenge!
(And now I'm of to my laptop again, to try a hand at the Nieuw Standaard map of Christine.)
CivLord

Postby Kroah » 12 Jul 2012, 16:28

dizt3mp3r wrote:I have created a nice article re: Coconet version 1.0.
http://lightquick.co.uk/coconet-version-1.0-ssi-colonial-conquest-is-back.html?Itemid=252

Thank you for the article and letting people discover the remake.
Kroah
Site Admin

Postby Kroah » 12 Jul 2012, 16:40

CivLord wrote:I've got a curious problem. [...]
I've attached both log files. [...]

Thank you for the log files.
It seems a resizing event is raised when the form is initializing (very strange).
Anyway, i've added a check to prevent the crash, but i can't reproduce the bug. Can you try to reproduce it when the next release will be ready ? Thank you.

CivLord wrote:BTW Kroah, you've done a marvelous job, it's a great game. The tweaks and the new Elora map make it a whole new challenge!
(And now I'm of to my laptop again, to try a hand at the Nieuw Standaard map of Christine.)

I take as much pleasure as you playing new maps. The thanks go to everyone :).
Kroah
Site Admin

Postby CivLord » 14 Jul 2012, 17:53

Kroah wrote:Anyway, i've added a check to prevent the crash, but i can't reproduce the bug. Can you try to reproduce it when the next release will be ready ? Thank you.

The new release seems to work. No crashes anymore at start-up. Thank you for fixing this.
CivLord

Return to CoCoNet Discussion