Map editor tutorial ?

Talk about everything related to CoCoNet or Colonial Conquest!

Moderator: Kroah

Map editor tutorial ?

Postby Symoon » 15 Aug 2012, 12:06

Hi all,

Just downloaded Coconet 1.0.2, and tried to run the Map Editor.
Problem: it won't let me open any map.

The only option I have when running the editor is "open map", and when I do so, it only shows an empty list.
I tried to decompress the standard scenario map, put it in the editor's folder, or in the "Custom Maps" folder: no result, still can't open any map in the editor.

I did a quick search but didn't find a tutorial foor the editor... Sorry if this has already been discussed, but how am I supposed to do?

Thanks!
Symoon
CoCoNet Beta Tester

Re: Map editor tutorial ?

Postby Symoon » 15 Aug 2012, 16:48

Ok, managed to load a map in the editor by creating a subfolder in the "custom maps" folder, and unzipping a map there.

Now I'm going to seek information about zones, and so on, trying to understand how everything works ;-)
Symoon
CoCoNet Beta Tester

Postby Christine » 17 Aug 2012, 10:32

I costs me a while to figure out that the "zones" are the "sea zones". Each country is connected to one or more zone - if it is not an "inner" country. Zones are used to display the coloured boats. Creating a zone means "creating a boat". Thats all...
Christine

Postby Symoon » 17 Aug 2012, 11:19

Thanks for the reply.
So far I just tried to make small changes in the XML part of the standard map, to see how it behaved.
Renamed Berlin and tried to move it 2 cells up, but when loading this custom map, I can't see any difference, Berlin is still Berlin, and still in Germany.
Gues something's wrong somewhere, but I'm giving up for now as I'm leaving for holdays !
Symoon
CoCoNet Beta Tester

Postby Christine » 17 Aug 2012, 12:52

maybe you started the custom ma from the zipfile, not from the edited folder? Rename the zipfile to be sure youre loading the correct game.

and.. nice holidays! ^^
Christine

Postby Kroah » 19 Aug 2012, 16:19

Hello Symoon!
Symoon wrote:Renamed Berlin and tried to move it 2 cells up, but when loading this custom map, I can't see any difference, Berlin is still Berlin, and still in Germany.

When you create a custom map, the first thing to do is to rename the map : folder/zip and the <map><name> tag in the xml (both must have the same name).
Kroah
Site Admin

Postby Symoon » 24 Aug 2012, 10:55

Thanks to both for the info ! Changing the names made it.
Now I'm testing things with graphics, although my usual (and old) graphic tools can't load the flags picture. Grrr ;)
Symoon
CoCoNet Beta Tester

Return to CoCoNet Discussion