Score limit Achieved = All Ais attack you

Talk about everything related to CoCoNet or Colonial Conquest!

Moderator: Kroah

Score limit Achieved = All Ais attack you

Postby Alex » 25 Aug 2012, 22:58

I have started two differents game and it was very fun :D ....at least untill I remember one features that always upset me on the original game: there is a score limit, which once achieved all the others AI attacks you !
I have found the limit to be around 850 pts (in the original game it was 1000 if I remember well)

To me it is quite annoying that this happens all the time...it is so predictable, and then the game become very frustating...

I know that the original game was like that, but this was my main complaint to the original game.

Is there something to do to fix that ?
For sure, an user setting that would allow to define this limit would be perfect but I perfectly understand that this may not be in the top list priority of Kroah's ! :wink:

Anyway if you have any tips to give me about this AI frustating behaviour, do not hesitate :)

Thank you again! :D
Alex

Re: Score limit Achieved = All Ais attack you

Postby Kroah » 26 Aug 2012, 01:00

You are totally right about the "limit around 850 pts".
In fact the formula is:
- Atari ST AI: winning score - random (150, 220)
- 800 XL AI: winning score - random (128, 165)
Atari ST & 800 XL AI will always do this because they must behave like Colonial Conquest.

You can prevent this behavior by setting the winning score to unlimited (let the winning score textbox empty when creating the game).
Edit: even with an unlimited winning score, the player is attacked when he reaches 1000 points.

Another solution is to do a custom AI using the Atari ST AI as a base.
You will be able to copy the "Atari ST" AI to "Atari ST without winning score check" AI and comment the blaming code.
You must wait the next release to do it because the actual AI are embedded to the binary (for debugging purpose).

Next release will include both of the mentioned AI and a third "Fusion AI" which will try to keep the best of the Atari ST & 800XL AI (while fixing some bugs already reported by members).

Thanks for your feedbacks.
Kroah
Site Admin

Postby Alex » 26 Aug 2012, 10:25

Thank you Kroah!

So, that means that the game I have started has a limited winning score of 1000 ? Once 1000 reached the game stop ? I did not pay attention to the score limit before I start.
In fact, I have not seen the "winning score textbox" yet...I need to have a look! :)

I remember that in the original game I always put "unlimited" but the AI always attacked me automatically anyway when I reached the 1000 limit....will it be the same with CoCoNet ?

Thanks again.
Alex

Postby Kroah » 27 Aug 2012, 12:24

Alex wrote:So, that means that the game I have started has a limited winning score of 1000 ? Once 1000 reached the game stop ? I did not pay attention to the score limit before I start.

Yes, this is the default for Atari ST Colonial Conquest maps.

Alex wrote:I remember that in the original game I always put "unlimited" but the AI always attacked me automatically anyway when I reached the 1000 limit....will it be the same with CoCoNet ?

You are right.

If the player score is < 1000 (and the winning score not Unlimited), the rule in the above post is used.
Else, the player is attacked when it reaches 1000 points, whatever the winning score is.

This bevahior may stay unchanged for the Atari ST/XL AI, but will be fixed in the "Fusion" AI.
Kroah
Site Admin

Postby Alex » 28 Aug 2012, 18:32

This brings to the interresting question: when is planned this "Fusion AI" ? :D
(I know that you may reply "when I have time", but just in case you have a rough idea ?)
Alex

Postby Kroah » 28 Aug 2012, 21:58

Alex wrote:This brings to the interresting question: when is planned this "Fusion AI" ? :D
(I know that you may reply "when I have time", but just in case you have a rough idea ?)

Soon, one week or two. Still some fixes to the map to do. But... if i have time :P.

Edit: sorry, i have to postpone the release, job ftw.
Kroah
Site Admin

Postby Alex » 28 Aug 2012, 22:59

Nice news ! :D

I have just started a game with your custom map, and it is nice to have a different map! :) There will be also others map done by the community or yourself to be added in next version ?

Also: I did not pay attention again that the winning score was 1000, so they all did attacked me around 850...
By default you keep the winning score limit at 1000, you do not want to put it at unlimited ? (I am pretty sure that majority of the player do not plays the winning score 1000...so maybe a good idea to set it at "unlimited" by default ?)
Alex

Postby Kroah » 30 Aug 2012, 18:02

Alex wrote:I have just started a game with your custom map, and it is nice to have a different map! :) There will be also others map done by the community or yourself to be added in next version ?

Yes.

There will be at least one custom map i'm making: amiga-inspired and located in England.
I haven't received any community contribution right now, although some members have WIP maps. Creating a map still needs some efforts, even with the map editor.

Alex wrote:By default you keep the winning score limit at 1000, you do not want to put it at unlimited ? (I am pretty sure that majority of the player do not plays the winning score 1000...so maybe a good idea to set it at "unlimited" by default ?)

In fact, i thought most people would use the default Atari ST setting (winning score of 1000).
IIRC, back in the days I've never played an unlimited game.
Kroah
Site Admin

Postby dizt3mp3r » 31 Aug 2012, 04:37

It would be nice to be able to set the aggressiveness of the AI. It could be fun being attacked all or most of the time.
dizt3mp3r

Postby Kroah » 24 Sep 2012, 01:37

Sorry, i have to postpone the release, lot of work right now.
Kroah
Site Admin

Postby dizt3mp3r » 24 Sep 2012, 10:10

Completely understandable, I wasn't even aware there was a new release forthcoming - we will wait I am sure.
dizt3mp3r

Postby Alex » 24 Sep 2012, 22:03

No problem!

We can wait a little bit! :D
Alex

Return to CoCoNet Discussion