multiple players on one machine

Talk about everything related to CoCoNet or Colonial Conquest!

Moderator: Kroah

multiple players on one machine

Postby mael15 » 19 Oct 2012, 13:32

hi kroah,
i would like to request that multiple player should be able to play on one machine. i would like to sit on my couch with a friend in front of my beamer and just pass the mouse between turns.
as a workaround, i tried to run coconet inside a winxp oracle virtual box, disabled 3D acceleration since i were not able to get it to work in the virtual box. when i hit "start" this showed up:
mael15

Re: multiple players on one machine

Postby Goldbadger » 26 Oct 2012, 16:01

I think this feature is known as HOTSEAT.
Goldbadger

Postby Kroah » 20 Dec 2012, 23:55

Hi Mael15,

This feature is already implemented in CoCoNet, and i even use it everytime i work on CoCoNet.

Your problem comes from your graphic card, not having enough memory or capabilities.

I suggest you to run both CoCoNet games with the 3D feature disabled (uncheck the box on the the first dialog box). This way CoCoNet will run with the 2D API. The game will be less smooth though.

Cheers,
Pascal
Kroah
Site Admin

Postby deatone » 31 Dec 2012, 00:16

I could use some help with this topic as well. How do you set up a "Hot Seat" Game?
deatone

Postby Kroah » 03 Jan 2013, 15:24

mael15 wrote: [..]disabled 3D acceleration since i were not able to get it to work in the virtual box.

OK, i did not read this.
I think there isn't enough graphic memory to allow 2X zoom.
Anyway, the game should not crash, but run with 2X zoom disabled.

=> i will check the code, thanks for the report.
Kroah
Site Admin

Postby Kroah » 03 Jan 2013, 15:31

mael15 wrote:hi kroah,
i would like to request that multiple player should be able to play on one machine. i would like to sit on my couch with a friend in front of my beamer and just pass the mouse between turns.

deatone wrote:I could use some help with this topic as well. How do you set up a "Hot Seat" Game?

I just checked with another computer.

I think the singleton check that i added some times ago (which i thought, was disabled) prevent you to run a second instance of CoCoNet.

I will fix this for the next release.

The virtual box was a good idea to run the process in another windows context.
Kroah
Site Admin

Postby Kroah » 24 Jan 2013, 23:21

I now remember why i've added the singleton check.
We noticed some unexpected behaviors when multiple instances were running from the same executable/config file.

An easy workaround is to copy the whole CoCoNet folder (it's not that much) and then run the second instance from the second folder.
Kroah
Site Admin

Postby mael15 » 25 Jan 2013, 17:16

i just wanted to confirm that running two instances from different game folders works great! it even runs smoothly on my machine without Direct3D (what is it good for anyway in this 2D game?!) with 2x zoom and full screen. i change players with ALT-TAB.
i have a pretty good machine though: i7@2.4ghz with 16gb ram and a geforce gtx 485m.
mael15

Return to CoCoNet Discussion