Anyone that wants to play?

Talk about everything related to CoCoNet or Colonial Conquest!

Moderator: Kroah

Anyone that wants to play?

Postby kattenelvis » 28 Aug 2015, 21:56

I want to play a multiplayer game, anyone still alive on this forum?
kattenelvis

Re: Anyone that wants to play?

Postby dizt3mp3r » 12 Nov 2015, 14:30

Yes, I still play regularly but I never managed to get a network game to work across t'internet.

I don't appear on the forum regularly but I think people are still regularly playing.

This game needs a server, so that we can connect and play.
dizt3mp3r

Postby Kroah » 19 Nov 2015, 21:50

Hi all,

dizt3mp3r wrote:This game needs a server, so that we can connect and play.

There's actually what we call a metaserver.
This is a server only used to setup games.

When you launch CoCoNet, it asks to the server the games being created and shows you the list. You then double click on the game to join it.
You will not see ongoing games because you can't join them. You can only join games before they are launched = at the lobby (master creating or loading a game).

When i play, i always use this feature to join games created by friends. I never connect by IP on Internet or LAN (even if it works too).

You can check all ongoing or being created games at the Metaserver page:
CoCoNet Metaserver

dizt3mp3r wrote:Yes, I still play regularly but I never managed to get a network game to work across t'internet.

I really don't know why it doesn't work for you.

The metaserver uses HTTP port 80, so this is really easy to enable CoCoNet on your firewall or router.

You create a game, and before you check ready at the lobby, you tell your friend it's ok. He clicks on refresh and the game will be shown so he can join.

Tell me if something goes wrong for you, i will try to give more explanation.
Kroah
Site Admin

Postby dizt3mp3r » 20 Nov 2015, 11:06

I get the idea, my firewall may have been a little complicated, a new machine now with a new firewall so things may be different. I will retry.

I'd like the idea of a server where a game was actually running and you could join... without invitation open to anyone to join and play. The overhead would be small as few would be playing concurrently. The old Quake servers ran like that.

Basically, I have no friends that run Coconet nor any that might in the future, a game sitting on a server ready to join where I could connect with others would be fun. I have only ever seen three/four players sitting at lobby-state and have never been able to join.
dizt3mp3r

Return to CoCoNet Discussion