Gateway to Apshai - Colecovision

Talk about everything related to general reverse engineering of computer games!

Moderator: Kroah

Gateway to Apshai - Colecovision

Postby xot » 18 Mar 2007, 23:36

I just learned that there is a Colecovision version of Gateway to Apshai. I had the ROM all the time, but never realized it.

Anyway, get this, it doesn't seem to have the Dungeon 7, Level 8 bug. It looks and plays exactly the same (except for the pixel aspect ratio) ... but it has completely different dungeons. In fact, it apparently has 99 different dungeons of 8 levels each instead of the usual 16x8. It still fits in a 16KB ROM. I didn't try all of the dungeons, but I did try first 20 or so and there no problems so far. I haven't really checked out the code yet, still looking for a decent Colecovision debugger.

The Colecovision version was written by Marc Ferguson and is copyright 1984 (a year after the C64 and Atari versions).
xot

Re: Gateway to Apshai - Colecovision

Postby Kroah » 02 Apr 2007, 14:06

xot wrote:I just learned that there is a Colecovision version of Gateway to Apshai. I had the ROM all the time, but never realized it.

Anyway, get this, it doesn't seem to have the Dungeon 7, Level 8 bug. It looks and plays exactly the same (except for the pixel aspect ratio) ... but it has completely different dungeons. In fact, it apparently has 99 different dungeons of 8 levels each instead of the usual 16x8. It still fits in a 16KB ROM. I didn't try all of the dungeons, but I did try first 20 or so and there no problems so far. I haven't really checked out the code yet, still looking for a decent Colecovision debugger.

The Colecovision version was written by Marc Ferguson and is copyright 1984 (a year after the C64 and Atari versions).

If the ROM is in the TOSEC, i must have it, but can you post it anyway?

I'm looking for a good recent emulator with debugger for this system too. In this case, i'll look to the seeds used and compare it with the atari ones. I think the dungeon building algorithm is the same.
Kroah
Site Admin

Postby xot » 02 Apr 2007, 14:51

Let's see if I can figure out how to upload Gateway to Apshai ... I can't figure it out. I'll PM you with a link.

As for emulators, I fooled with MEKA 0.71 a little. It can emulate Z80 consoles including the Colecovision. It has a debugger but I haven't used it yet.

http://www.smspower.org/meka

Read the debugger.txt file for more information.

The thing I don't like about MEKA is that it can only run in full screen exclusive mode.
Last edited by xot on 02 Apr 2007, 15:18, edited 1 time in total.
xot

Postby Kroah » 02 Apr 2007, 15:02

Thank you, i'll look at it.

xot wrote:Let's see if I can figure out how to upload Gateway to Apshai ... I can't figure it out.

Ho yes, there's little bug in the upload mod (no text in the buttons).
Kroah
Site Admin

Re: Gateway to Apshai - Colecovision

Postby stonic » 02 Jan 2009, 05:50

xot wrote:Anyway, get this, it doesn't seem to have the Dungeon 7, Level 8 bug.

I think you mean Dungeon 8, Level 7 :)
stonic

Postby xot » 13 Mar 2009, 02:06

Right you are. I always meant to fix that, I guess it's too late now! :lol:
xot

Return to General Discussion