Instructions for network play?

Talk about everything related to CoCoNet or Colonial Conquest!

Moderator: Kroah

Instructions for network play?

Postby dizt3mp3r » 15 Nov 2011, 12:11

Are there any instructions for network play? I have 0.9.13 and it will not connect to other games via the net, LAN works successfully though. Firewall settings: http 80 and UDP 2626 allowed, incoming/outgoing using sygate on XP.

When connecting, the game is visible in the list of network games under "join a game" but "server not found" always pops up with the server ip address and port shown.

I see some players have 0.9.14 debug, does this make a difference when trying to connect with the older version?
Is 0.9.14 still downloadable, anyone fancy making this available?
dizt3mp3r

Re: Instructions for network play?

Postby dizt3mp3r » 15 Nov 2011, 12:27

With coconet not having in game chat, can I suggest that if you want to play a game that you put your email address or skype id or other identifier in your game name and then if you want to contact the other player then you can do so. The game name field seems quite long so it can take a full email address and some text.
dizt3mp3r

Postby Kroah » 18 Nov 2011, 18:07

dizt3mp3r wrote:Are there any instructions for network play?

No because this is quite easy.

dizt3mp3r wrote:I have 0.9.13 and it will not connect to other games via the net, LAN works successfully though. Firewall settings: http 80 and UDP 2626 allowed, incoming/outgoing using sygate on XP. When connecting, the game is visible in the list of network games under "join a game" but "server not found" always pops up with the server ip address and port shown.

You need to open the port you specified (2626) for the protocol TCP (not only UDP).

FYI, UDP is used to listen the LAN network, TCP for ingame communication, and the port 80 to retrieve Internet games.
Both TCP and UDP can have their own port in Coconet, but i recommend using the same port.
If you still have issue, you can use VPN (like Hamachi) to connect to your worldwide friends via LAN.

dizt3mp3r wrote:I see some players have 0.9.14 debug, does this make a difference when trying to connect with the older version?

No, this was only a fix for 64 bit users.

dizt3mp3r wrote:Is 0.9.14 still downloadable, anyone fancy making this available?

You should not need it if you don't use a 64 bits environment.
This is only a patch: http://bringerp.free.fr/Files/CoCoNet/CoCoNet%20-%20Windows%207%20-%20Test%2001.zip

dizt3mp3r wrote:With coconet not having in game chat, can I suggest that if you want to play a game that you put your email address or skype id or other identifier in your game name and then if you want to contact the other player then you can do so. The game name field seems quite long so it can take a full email address and some text.

:?: Coconet does have an ingame chat. Type something then press enter.

In the upcoming version, I have enhanced the lobby and added a chat box.

Tell me if you still have connection issue.
Kroah
Site Admin

Postby dizt3mp3r » 19 Nov 2011, 01:46

I'll try the modifying the network settings and see what I can get to work, thanks for the help. I know how long it takes to develop a thing like this on your own, I've tried to do something similar in the past and failed on the last 10%.
dizt3mp3r

Postby dizt3mp3r » 11 May 2012, 00:40

Trying to connect to an internet game hosted by Motze and although I can see him waiting, I cannot connect.

Just states the IP address: port and "server not found."

I have UDP and TCP enabled both ways for ports 80 and 2626. I have even enabled the target ip address as enabled on all ports. No luck. I can see him but I can't connect. I suppose we both have to be set up correctly.

I have the same version of Coconet as the target. In the BTHomehub router I have straight through port forwarding set up to point to the correct machine. I can turn off all firewalls temporarily but it has no effect. I use sygate firewall on XP, windows firewall turned off.

Has anyone else actually managed to set up an internet game? I suppose we have to get someone who has successfully connected to try to connet to me.

NB Local LAN games connect fine.
dizt3mp3r

Postby Kroah » 11 May 2012, 14:19

Hello dizt3mp3r,

Let me ask you some questions:
- Did you use Hamachi for the LAN test ?
- Was Hamachi running while you connected via Internet ?
- According to your message, you are on a private network (your local IP should be something like 192.x.x.x) and you are not on the DMZ. Is this correct ?
- Do you use NAT or IP masquerading on your local network ?
- Are you on the same network than your friend Motze ? (whether with Hamachi or on the same room)
- Can you try to Host the game and let your friend connect to you ?
- Can you tell me if the website http://whatismyipaddress.com reflects your correct Internet IP ?

Thank you,
Kroah
Site Admin

Postby dizt3mp3r » 11 May 2012, 15:49

I suppose the answer is - none of those things.

I saw a game on the list and waiting and I simply tried to connect. Wasn't a friend, it was just someone waiting for a game...No VPN.
dizt3mp3r

Postby CivLord » 11 May 2012, 16:52

Then most probably that person was behind a firewall, or in a network without proper port-forwarding.
CivLord

Postby Kroah » 11 May 2012, 18:15

CivLord wrote:Then most probably that person was behind a firewall, or in a network without proper port-forwarding.

I agree with this.

Actually, the metaserver logs created and running games:
When a game is created, it sends the information to the metaserver -> you can see the registered games there:
http://bringerp.free.fr/RE/ColonialConquest/MetaServer/games.phtml (next version of CoCoNet will use another url).

The host then pings the metaserver every few minutes to keep the game alive and update the game status (waiting, current turn, ...)

The metaserver sets a game inactive if no ping has been received from it before a defined time.

CoCoNet retrieves the internet game list from this metaserver.

A game with a "waiting" status could not be joined for 2 reasons:
- the host is unreachable (firewall, ...)
- the host has quit but the metaserver still have the game registered -> the game will be removed after few minutes.

Imho, even if you can join any game listed, it's easier to setup a game with a friend where the host awaits you. The metaserver allows you to join the host without specifying the IP & port.
Kroah
Site Admin

Postby dizt3mp3r » 11 May 2012, 18:19

I have no friends...

Of course you are right, I wasn't thinking.
dizt3mp3r

Return to CoCoNet Discussion