Seven Cities Of Gold

Talk about everything related to general reverse engineering of computer games!

Moderator: Kroah

Seven Cities Of Gold

Postby xot » 30 Sep 2006, 21:35

What a day! There's a game that could use an update. Too bad "political correctness" will probably never allow that to happen.
xot

Postby Kroah » 01 Oct 2006, 18:25

Hi xot,

The game had a remake in 1993. It adds some new features but i think it's easier. I had a good time to play it again last year. It works well with DosBox:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/seven-cities-of-gold-commemorative-edition/cover-art/gameCoverId,7973/
http://www.mobygames.com/game/seven-cities-of-gold-commemorative-edition

Kroah
Kroah
Site Admin

Is there a way to view how the program creates the map?

Postby SpicyChronos » 02 Oct 2006, 04:48

Any possible way to have an external program, or whatnot to view the actual creation of the map, or even a individiual program to create it, or add it to the Utility program, have it create a blank floppy and make a map disk? That would be cool. 8)

Thanks again for the cool program and all your hard work!

-SChronos
SpicyChronos

Postby Kroah » 02 Oct 2006, 05:10

Thanks for the encouragement.

The map editor (manually or by using the generator) is planned in my mind. But i really don't know when i'll had time to do it.

Actually, i decompile, hum... Do you know ? A game named... ho, i've forgotten some letters, too bad: _ _ C _ _ _ (good luck :wink: )
Kroah
Site Admin

Postby xot » 02 Oct 2006, 22:32

Do you plan on implementing the original generator algorithm? That's would be very interesting to see.
xot

Postby KoinKoin » 06 Oct 2006, 02:30

Actually, i decompile, hum... Do you know ? A game named... ho, i've forgotten some letters, too bad: _ _ C _ _ _ (good luck )

I WIN ! I FOUND ... I WIN !

There will be data on creatures ? :D
- KoinKoin

There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home.
Ken Olsen, President, Digital Equipment, 1977
KoinKoin
CoCoNet Beta Tester

Postby Kroah » 06 Oct 2006, 04:50

Welcome to the forum, yellow bird !

KoinKoin wrote:
Actually, i decompile, hum... Do you know ? A game named... ho, i've forgotten some letters, too bad: _ _ C _ _ _ (good luck )

I WIN ! I FOUND ... I WIN !

There will be data on creatures ? :D

Yes of course !

There aren't much datas in the game, but the few present concern the whole game. There will be some informations on the AI too and some tips on how to win the combat (like the one hunting the duck :shock: hum, but you'll reborn out of the ashes, won't you ?)

Cheers,
Pascal
Kroah
Site Admin

How to Save Game in Seven Cities of Gold

Postby patfix3 » 28 Jul 2008, 18:29

Thank You!

I had been missing Seven Cities of Gold for a long time. I decided to search for it and found your decompilation for use on the Atari800Win emulator.

I have a basic question as I am new to emulations of old software.

How do I save my game in Seven Cities of Gold? When I go to the pub, I hit the option key (F4) and get a save error. Should I have another disk actively loaded? I currently have the map disk loaded into Drive 1.

Please let me know.

Thanks again.
patfix3

Re: How to Save Game in Seven Cities of Gold

Postby Kroah » 28 Jul 2008, 20:54

patfix3 wrote:How do I save my game in Seven Cities of Gold? When I go to the pub, I hit the option key (F4) and get a save error. Should I have another disk actively loaded? I currently have the map disk loaded into Drive 1.

Welcome to the board Patfix3!

I've just checked if the save game at the Pub works, and it does... But only with randomly generated maps, not with the world map on the second disk.

I really don't know why. I've tried the TOSEC and Atarimania version without success.

Maybe you should ask at the atarimania or atariage forum or play with a random map.

Anyway, if you found a way to make it works, let us know!

Regards,
Kroah
Kroah
Site Admin

Postby patfix3 » 29 Jul 2008, 17:15

Hi Kroah!

Thanks for the welcome.

I feel silly asking such a basic question but how to I get the random world created. When I start Seven Cities of Gold and hit the 'Option' key (F4), I am asked to insert a blank disk and press 'Start' (F2). What does the emulator recognize as a blank disk?

I tried using a renamed copy of the America map disk. This appeared to not work. Then I created a blank ASCI file using notepad with an ".atr" file extension and that did not appear to work. By 'appear not to work', I mean that I hit the 'Start' key (F2) and the screen never changes after about 3 mins or so. I set the emulator speed to 200% but no help.

Is it that I am not waiting long enough? I remember the map used to take a while to create on my old Atari & C64. Maybe it takes like 15 or 30 mins or so. Should I use a different start file for my map disk? Since you can already save a random map game, I am sure you already know!

Thank you again for your help!
patfix3

Postby patfix3 » 29 Jul 2008, 17:28

Figured it out ...

I had to change Drive 1 from "Read Only" to "Read/Write".

I found the function under the menu:
"Atari -> Disk Drives"
patfix3

Return to General Discussion