Gateway to Apshai

Talk about everything related to general reverse engineering of computer games!

Moderator: Kroah

Gateway to Apshai

Postby xot » 30 Sep 2006, 21:34

Yeah! I look forward to checking this out. Way to go, Pascal.

(a little later)

I feel a sudden giddy urge to start cobbling this game together into a modern version, like right now. You're bringing out the worst in me. :twisted:

Again, fantastic work, man.
xot

Postby xot » 30 Sep 2006, 21:44

The "blinking" bat: does the color of the bat turn black, or does it actually disappear from the play field. More to the point, do collisions happen while the bat is "invisible"?
xot

Postby Kroah » 01 Oct 2006, 18:17

Thanks xot, glad to hear it. I'll answer all the questions you have. (PS: i don't have access to my mail box since a week, but i'll answer to your mail ;)

xot wrote:The "blinking" bat: does the color of the bat turn black, or does it actually disappear from the play field. More to the point, do collisions happen while the bat is "invisible"?

Effectively, the bat dosen't turn black, but teleports (disappears and reappears immediately anywhere in the same room, maybe on the player :? ).
Kroah
Site Admin

Postby xot » 01 Oct 2006, 20:29

Oh, ok. I guess I've ever gotten that far into Gateway, or at least I don't remember how the teleporting bat works. Thanks for the info.
xot

Postby Kroah » 02 Oct 2006, 00:22

You can try the different monsters using the attached state file (.a8s).

Monsters type of the level are stored at memory address: $31D7 to $31E6.
The type is equal to the monster number (base 1), so 32 ($20) is the blinking bat, 15 ($f) the mummy, etc... (see the list of the monsters, they are listed in incrementing order, beginning at 1).

So if you type in the debug console:
Code: Select all
f 31d7 31e6 20

all the monsters of the level become blinking bats.

Tell me if you need more memory addresses.
Attachments
test_monster_type.zip
State file
(28.87 KiB) Downloaded 464 times
Kroah
Site Admin

Postby xot » 02 Oct 2006, 22:58

Thanks for that. I'll try it out if I can ever find some free time ... although, if I'm to be honest, the chances of me actually recreating this game verbatim are extremely low -- although it would be pretty easy -- hmmm -- evil thoughts are refusing to die. :twisted:

What I really want to do is make a similar game I've had in mind for some time, mainly inspired by the action of Gateway to Apshai while adding the randomness of it's spiritual progenitor Rogue along with some Zelda-like improvements to gameplay depth. A straight remake of Gateway might actually be good for prototyping some of the concepts.
xot

Return to General Discussion